Zombie Politics

I drank your milkshake.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Top 20 Albums of 2005



01 M.I.A. “Arular”
So much ink has been spilled hyping and trying to classify Ms. Diplo that no one ever got around to championing her not for what influences she has, but how she’s certain to propel pop music into the next evolutionary echelon. She had me at “Galang.”

02 Sufjan Stevens, “Illinois”
Sufjan Stevens cemented his place as the King of Indie Preciousness with this, his second “state” concept album and latest declaration of unparalleled songwriting genius.

03 Annie, “Anniemal”/”DJ Kicks”
Annie made bubblegum cool again and prompted some of the greatest remixes of the year, while her “DJ Kicks” contribution showed she was just as much fun behind the decks.

04 Jamie Lidell, “Multiply”
Everytime I play this for someone I preface it by saying “Get ready for the white Englishman that sounds like Otis Reading.” The sing-along album of 2005…

05 Rachel Stevens, “Come and Get It”
… Whoops. Nevermind. This is. Expertly crafted pop song craft universally ignored by critics and consumers.

06 Vitalic, “OK Cowboy”
The French dance masterpiece I was hoping for when “Human After All” came out.

07 The Magic Numbers
Perfect, handclapping brother-and-sister pop folk sing-alongs.

08 Fiona Apple, “Extraordinary Machine” (Leaked Version)
When robbed of the metallic chimes of Jon Brion’s production, Fiona’s lush third effort feels less like a complete album and more like an eked out spoken word monologue about high school breakups.

09 Gorillaz, “Demon Days”
A high-concept that should have failed spectacularly but achieves something spectacular.

10 Kanye West, “Late Registration”
He has every right to brag.

… The Rest
11 Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
12 Beck, “Guero”
13 My Morning Jacket, “Z”
14 Bloc Party, “Silent Alarm”
15 Robyn
16 Isolee, “We Are Monster”
17 Major Swellings
18 Franz Ferdinand, “You Could Have It So Much Better”
19 Spoon, “Gimme Fiction”
20 Kelley Polar, “Love Songs in the Hanging Garden”/ Whitey, "The Light at the End of the Tunnel is a Train"

And an amazingly huge round of applause should go to DFA Records, which put out some of the most challenging and wonderful records of the year. Without further ado, here is the top 5 DFA Records of 2005.

01 LCD Soundsystem
02 The Juan Maclean, “Less Than Human”
03 Hot Chip, “Coming On Strong”/”Over and Over”
04 DFA Holiday Mix 2005
05 Delia Gonzalez & Gavin Rossum, “The Days of Mars”

And the Top 5 DFA Remixes...

01 Hot Chip "Just Like We Breakdown (DFA Remix)"
02 Goldfrapp "Slide In (DFA Remix)"
03 Gorillaz "DARE (DFA Remix)"
04 Nine Inch Nails "The Hand That Feeds (DFA Remix)"
05 Chemical Brothers, "The Boxer (DFA Remix)"

11 Comments:

Blogger Radio Free Burke said...

Wow. The only three I can agree with are Annie, Spoon, and Jamie Lidell. How about listening to some music that Pitchfork didn't reccomend? Sorry to be an ass, but...yeah.

4:00 AM  
Blogger Zombie Drew said...

You are an ass, although I would add the word "hole" as well.

First of all: fuck off. I know you have an indie rock chip on your shoulder that makes you super-cyncial, but come on! Your logic doesn't even work.

Pitchfork sucks, we hate them all. Me especially. Can you ever imagine writing a review in that god awful style? ICK!

Secondly, Pitchfork didn't even review Whitey, Major Swellings, or Rachel Stevens. They gave Kelley Polar and Gorillaz middling reviews, and when it comes down to it, your Top 20 would probably look more like Pitchfork's than mine.

How about a little love?

What about that?

7:25 AM  
Blogger Radio Free Burke said...

I'm the only person who reads this blog. How's that for love? And I know I'm an ass...it's what makes me adorable. I didn't do a top whatever list cuz I think they're useless because I won't hear half the great shit of this year until next year...that's the way it goes. Also, I spent most of this year listening to old shit. Also, this year was basically a turd for music compared to '04 I think. Just nothing really major that blew my mind. I will say Illinoise is the most overrated record of the year, though.

8:47 AM  
Blogger JordanC said...

Well I can't take sides here, I listened to a lot of the new music that came out but not nearly enough to make a Top list. I will do a My Favorite list though, and Illinoise will be high on the top of it. I must say that for all your cynical opinions about music, Max, I am constantly challenged to accurately predict which great album you will hate next.
I dunno, man... Sujfan is the master and while I liked Michigan more when Illinoise came out, I'm coming around to the Noise.

As far as commenting on Drew's list instead of Max, I haven't heard much of that Annie album, don't know who Rachel Stevens is, don't know who Vitalic is and I think Kanye West is BY FAR the most over rated artist of the millennium.

I want to make a best Live album of 2005 but i only know of 2... any ideas?

-Jordan

9:32 AM  
Blogger Radio Free Burke said...

Wilco - Kicking Television.
Or the Green Day one...hahaha. I don't think Illinoise is shitty, and I like Sufjan and I liked Michigan. But it's just...mediocre. And it's way too fuckin' long. He's a smart songwriter and good arranger - hooray! Meet 5 million other bands. He's doing nothing too exciting or interesting, yet people think this is like the second coming. Robert Pollard (of Guided By Voices) shits Illinoises's for breakfast and doesn't even remember it he's got so many amazing melodies and lyrics stored up. Oh, and Drew apparently didn't "get" Antony. What the fuck is there to get: most beautiful, heartbreaking voice of all time; perfect, stark piano arrangments; amazing lineup of guest artists with really unique and worthwhile contributions; unpredictable and harrowing lyrics. What's the problem? I don't have a top 10, but album of the year? Easy: Animal Collective - Feels.
It's fun to yell about music! You know I love you guys.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Zombie Drew said...

I love you, Max.

And I still want to visit Amsterdam, so if you were mad at me that'd make things considerably more awkward.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

hunh...our lists do not overlap at all it seems...hope we can still be friends...xo, jill.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

hunh...our lists do not overlap at all it seems...hope we can still be friends...xo, jill.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Brother Haruspex said...

Yeah...I don't think those would ever be anywhere near my top 20 list (couldn't do that, I'm post list!) and Sufjan errr...nahhh, but whatever...

My big problem is with you, deuce...

Could you do something even more boring than namedrop Robert Pollard? What? Compare him with Sufjan Stephens? What? That's really inappropriate and makes no sense? (Yes) Sort of like comparing and Jackson Browne. Yeah they're both songwriters and have melodies in their songs, but...

Anyhow, don't act all holyhip cuz you actually plunked down 50 bucks for Suitcase 2 (which kinda sucks by the way). Son, you ain't the first to discover GBV...in fact, you've missed the boat by like a decade and a half. Sort of like saying "I've heard this new, great band called The Stooges" or something. Yawn, bro.

Forget all the lists, everyone knows the best album of last year was Icky Baby.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Brother Haruspex said...

When I said "you" in that last post, I meant Radio Free Burke.

Also, deuce, feel free to call me out on the fact that I forgot to actually compare Jackson Browne to anyone. Ok?

7:33 PM  
Blogger tandyerickson3390464099 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://pennystockinvestment.blogspot.com

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home