Zombie Politics

I drank your milkshake.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Basement Jaxx @ Webster Hall (Part II: The Legend Continues)

So the Basement Jaxx played on Wednesday night. I’m still recovering. It’s Friday. They rocked the house so fucking hard that I’m fairly certain something caught on fire, and a baby or two was probably produced in my immediate vicinity (which is going to be a miracle considering how many mighty queers there were). I wish that I could bring those non-believers to one of these shows because I really do think seeing them live will unequivocally convert you to the House of Jaxx.

This is the third time I’ve seen them live (previously: Roseland in 2001 and at the Carling Brixton Academy in London in 2003) and each time the experience was equally different and thrilling.

The first time I saw them was (obviously) a revelation: I had no idea how they were going to convert sophomore album “Rooty’s” mixture of female vocals and hip-hop-ish beats. I expected, at the very least, a guest vocalist or two but most of the work done by the boys on synthesizers and whatnot. Well, my answer came to me when they started the show with “Romeo” and a large black woman with skin-tight acid wash jeans came out singing, the word ‘Jaxx’ written up her pant-leg in bleach. They then proceeded to wow me with each and every song, and each and every crazy-ass (itch?) guest performer. This is the show that featured feathered, flamenco showgirls and a female vocalist in a paten leather cat suit who came out and whipped Felix during “Get Me Off” (he beat her up back – don’t worry). The headline in Rolling Stone when they reviewed the show was ‘Basement Jaxx Kicks Ass.’

The second time, in England, was a whole ‘nother ballgame. I saw them in the big, beautiful Carling Brixton Academy (watch that awful sex movie “9 Songs” if you want to see it in full effect, y’all). I was surrounded by literally THOUSAND of my British peers and the show was fucking huge: giant screens that played choreographed images of tanks and crazy jungle animals, an even greater parade of guest vocalists and perfomers, and a DJ interlude where they combined 50 Cent’s “In Da Club,” The White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army,” and Justin Timberlake into one brilliant package. It was quite amazing, as well. A track from my show even ended up on the second disc of their jaw-dropping “Singles” package (not released in the US – naturally).

Wednesday’s show continued on their path to excellence, even though it was done with half the Jaxx missing. Simon was no where to be found, leaving hyperactive Felix in control of the big, gay, neon-rimmed spaceship. Oh well. Even though his presence was missed (at the very least it explains the absence of the cool, acoustic-guitar version of “Rendezvous”), the show was, quite simply, the Greatest Thing Ever. It made me appreciate “Crazy Itch Radio,” their fourth album, that much more (it’s been growing on me since it leaked online in late summer), especially when you see a crowd react so positively to new songs like “Hey U” and “Take Me Back to Your House” (highlights, both of them). Through their madcap assortment of singers, dancers, rappers, and (at one point) monkey-men (or women), they brought their vision of musical insanity to life. It was irrepressible; a colorful explosion of slyly sexual, overwrought joy - laser beams and rainbows from here to eternity (and back). There’s nothing more wonderful than that. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: ain’t no party like a Basement Jaxx party.

More, random pictures follow (thanks to the actual Zombie Politics photographer Kina!)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1 Comments:

Blogger Florida Perrywinkle, The Media Wave Collective said...

great pictures, kina. the lonely feather - brilliant.
i've never seen more zippers on a single human being. some of those zippers weren't even for any practical use! crazy!

drew - as always, you suck.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home